Sunday, September 16, 2012

Pentax K1000: First Roll

I've been doing some research on film and stumbled upon many articles debating over film vs digital photography and although I’m not going to speak to that, I do want to tell you why I have a sudden interest in film photography after shooting digital for some years now…
When I first met my beau (trust me this is relevant to this post), I was smitten by him. I loved spending time with him, getting to know him, being around him and eventually I couldn't get enough of him! I wanted to be with him at all times. I wanted to know everything there was to know about him (in a non-creepy way of course)… I was in love! And just like that love I had for him, it’s the same way I feel about photography. Lately I've fallen even more so in love with photography. As heavy as my Canon is, I haul it in my bag along with all sorts of other junk for any photo opportunity and just like when I fell in love with my beau and wanted to immerse myself with all things him, the same goes to photography. I've been wanting to learn more about photography - the different photography formats, cameras, etc. and that’s how my interest for film sparked.

Fast forward to today, I landed on a Pentax K1000 as my first manual 35mm slr. At first I was fearful that my first roll of film would not turn out at all but I believe shooting manual mode on my digital SLR really helped make the transition smooth.  Inspired by the floral jeans I wore that day, I captured all the beautiful flowers within walking distance of my neighborhood... 

After my first roll of film, I'm hooked! Initially it was frustrating to lose the instant gratification of seeing your photo immediately after pressing the shutter button but as I worked my way through the roll, anticipation filled me as I couldn't wait to see how they would turn out. It also enabled me to take the time to frame my subject because I knew I couldn't waste four exposures on it. You'll definitely be seeing more of this camera...

No comments:

Post a Comment