Tuesday, July 3, 2018

Summer



I have been blogging since 2012 averaging 24 post in the past seven years. 2013 was a better presentation of my ideal year with 60 posts! My goal this year was to create 52 posts. Once a week sounded doable. However I've only done eight so far and at this rate I’m trending below my average. Ahh! This means I have plenty of photos in my archive to share! And my blog's timeline may be somewhat similar to Westworld. But I promise it will be a heck of a lot less confusing when I’m sharing multiple timelines.

Seattleites used to say summer didn't start until after the 4th of July. That's because it would rain up to that point. But the last few years that hasn't been the case. We've had really beautiful and warm days in June. Summer is almost here and I have been brainstorming ways to spend it. I've been researching and creating lists of places to see and things do to. The other day I asked my beau what he wanted to do this summer. He rattled of a handful of things: take the boat out on Lake Washington, go to a few Sounders game, visit LA and hang out in the city. Ok, we can do that! On my list: ride a hot air balloon, take a trip with my sisters, hang out with my nieces and nephews, maybe make a trip to Vancouver and take lots of photographs!

As I thought more about how to spend the next nine weekends. I decided to look through my archives and share what I did the previous summer. This is what I love most about photography. It’s ability to capture a memory in time. Looking through my photographs I remembered what a great summer it was. I checked off a few places on my bucket list. I spent a lot of time with the people I love. I celebrated another birthday. I sunbathed in the California sun. I visited a new Washington island. Here are photographs from last summer.


San Juan Island     

Washington is surrounded by an archipelago of islands. Someday I would love to visit all the major islands. Last summer the stars aligned perfectly for us to visit San Juan Island with our friends. We left Seattle on a Friday after work (bad idea) and drove to Anacortes to catch a ferry over to San Jaun Island which we had to make reservations for in advance and couldn't miss. It took us close to five hours to get to our rented home. Once we arrived everything moved at a much slower pace and we were able to relax.

Things to do: Rent a house on the beach | Hike or drive up to catch the view from Mount Constitution | Visit or stay at Doe Bay Resort & Retreat | Go crabbing


The Griffith Observatory

When I stand on Normandie Avenue in Koreatown, I can see the Griffith straight ahead perched on a hill. It is beautiful especially at night lit up. As many times as I've been to LA, I've never been to the observatory. Before a flight home, I was determined to squeeze in a couple of hours with my Hasselblad. In addition to the architecture, the Griffith has an amazing view of LA.


Joshua Tree

Another place that has been on my list. You can read all about it in a previous blogpost.


Palm Springs

I've seen photographs of Palm Springs in glossy travel magazines. Always with some good architecture and palm trees in the background swimming in that perfect sun beaming light. That's what I had envisioned Palm Springs to be and that's what I found.


Napa Valley

We celebrated Ian's birthday in the Bay Area starting in San Francisco and then moving our way over to Napa Valley. The wineries were all very impressive making it easy to photograph. However my favorite part was meeting up friends along our trip. It's always so much fun to be able to travel and connect with friends.


Here we have it: memories of last summer. Now, onto taking more photographs and creating more memories. Happy Summer! 

No comments:

Post a Comment