Thursday, April 14, 2016

Oddfellows Cafe

It was the first day of spring and the opening weekend of the Link Light Rail’s Capital Hill station so we thought it would be perfect to celebrate by going to brunch at Oddfellows. I was filled with excitement catching the Light Rail to Capital Hill. Gone are the days of walking up that hill on Pike Street burning my calves and leaving me panting like a dog out of breathe. Thank goodness for Babe who kindly holds my hand while ushering me slowly up the hill, like I’m an elderly woman needing assistance.

Brunch in this city is serious business. I’ve waited hours for brunch before, even having a meal elsewhere before actually sitting down to have brunch. Yes, I know that’s nuts. You’re probably thinking, ‘why not go home and throw your own damn eggs in a pan.’ I get it, it sounds simple enough to do but on my weekends I’m off duty so that means I don’t have to cook if I don’t want to (and when do I ever want to cook???), even if I wanted to try I wouldn’t be able to make what I was craving: Baked eggs, french toast, and biscuit with scrambled eggs! Yum yum!

Oddfellows OddFellows-6 OddFellows-3OddFellows-4 OddFellows-7

It was no surprise to learn that we had to wait for a table when we arrived at Oddfellows. I love that place so I obediently nod in agreement when the hostess asked if we’d be willing to wait 20 minutes. I don’t tell Babe that, no I bribe him with a drink at the Little Oddfellows while we wait. Twenty minutes isn’t that bad I silently tell myself but it turns out that it is. It’s especially long when you’re trying to entertain someone while you’re caffeine free with an empty stomach.

OddFellows-2 OddFellows-8

I love the crowd and the layout at Oddfellows. Its open floor plan makes it feel like a cafeteria. Conversations are in full force making it difficult for our waitress to hear our order and at first I’m slightly irritated. Dang it people, I need my drip coffee and no I don’t need cream or sugar! But after the coffee comes I begin to lighten up and after the food comes the sound of chatter and clinking silverware becomes background noise as I immerse myself into my own conversation with Babe, almost matching the volume of others. This is brunch.

No comments:

Post a Comment